Wednesday 26 September 2012

Research and Planning: Evalutaion of College Magazine




First off I believe that the font sizes are the appropriate sizes for both pages. My magazine does follow the ‘3 colour’ rule to a certain degree however my central image stands out of the background due to not following this. The colour scheme of white blue and black causes all of the text to stand out while transparency allows me to have a larger range of colours by simply using the 3 colours. I would say that the colours are similar in some places meaning that text may be difficult to read which is a big problem; one of these areas is along the t shirt of the central image as the two types of white appear to merge slightly causing a problem when reading, another area which this may appear in is the light blue box behind the text, however this doesn’t cause such a big issue as the two white colours.
I believe that it is obvious that the two pages (cover and contents page are from the same magazine) I believe this because of the font of the text and the background colours being in the same way. The font I used for both pages is called ‘ChalkDuster’ I used this font because it is meant to look like something has been written on a board in chalk. The background was utilizing all 3 of my colours therefore I believed that it was necessary to use this through to the next page and the next if it were necessary for me to make that. One thing that worries me about doing this is the fact that it makes the cover seem dull; the cover is meant to make the magazine stand out in order to get attention and effectively someone to purchase the magazine however since I used that background as a master style as I said I think that it makes the cover seem ‘dull’.
I believe that the photographs are well taken and are appropriate however I think that the lighting could have been better in the room, as it had given the image a slightly weird aura of yellow. The photograph is appropriate as the image is of a common college student, the binder he is holding enforces the fact that like a college student he has work to do, or needs to study, which enforces the idea that the image is of a college student.
There are 3 stories on the front cover, which I optimistically put on the contents page that they would cross over 2 pages each. On the contents page I added ‘future releases’ as an extra to enforce the idea that it was new as stated by the cover. Due to the research that I carried out I do believe that these stories are appropriate as several people said that they would want to read stories about things of which are going on in and around the college. Therefore I included such things as ‘college activities’ and since this is meant to be a new release for September I added the story about ‘ the transition…’ I added this as an idea, which would essentially draw in customers (who are new students) to purchase the magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment